The Bower Award for Business Leadership is presented annually to a leader in United States business or industry who, in their life and work, personifies outstanding qualities and attainments in leadership, the advancement of sound economic practices, and adherence to the highest ethical standards.
The recipient of the Bower Award for Business Leadership is presented with a 14-karat gold medal at The Franklin Institute Awards Ceremony and Dinner, held each spring at The Franklin Institute in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA.
- Any leader or former leader of a U.S.-based company is eligible. Nominations of candidates traditionally underrepresented in industry leadership are particularly encouraged.
- All nominees will be considered regardless of the relative size of the business or industry (Will of Henry Bower, 1986).
- Special consideration will be given to achievements in business leadership that reflect the practical, useful, entrepreneurial, humanitarian, and philanthropic spirit of Benjamin Franklin.
- Candidates for the award must be living, and the winner must participate in The Franklin Institute Awards Ceremony in Philadelphia.
- This award is for an individual rather than a group.
- Nominations are accepted at any time and may be considered for an award in any upcoming year.
- Nominations will be accepted from any individual, organization, or institution, including self-nominations. Carefully evaluated nominations will be presented to the Bower Business Award Selection Committee, a panel of past Bower Business Award laureates, Franklin Institute trustees, and other leaders from science, technology, and business, which recommends an award recipient.
- The nomination of the proposed winner is brought before the Board of Trustees of The Franklin Institute for final approval.
- Nominations may be submitted by mail or email.
- Nomination materials are considered confidential for a term of 50 years.
- Nominations must be submitted in English and must include the following:
- Name and contact information of the nominee
- Name and contact information of nominator
- Nominee’s curriculum vitae or detailed biography
- Proposed citation of 50 words or fewer, highlighting the achievement(s) for which the candidate is nominated
- A comprehensive narrative statement describing the nominee's qualifications for the award
- A minimum of four confidential letters of support requested by the nominator mailed directly to the Director of the Awards Program at The Franklin Institute
Nominations and related materials should be mailed or emailed to:
Director, The Franklin Institute Awards
The Franklin Institute
222 North 20th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-1194